Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Nicol retains British Open Title

A great performance from Nicol, worthy of her status as world number 1!! She beat Rachael Graham 9-1, 9-4, 9-1 in 40 minutes!!

"The only thing I was thinking about today was to try to get the ball away from my opponent and put her under pressure. This week was very hard, every match I had to make sure I was keeping the ball under control, it was hard work and I'm glad it paid off.

"Rachael is so experienced, she changes up a gear without you realising it, and focus-wise it's hard to stay in the rhythm as she breaks your rhythm up so much. I was just trying to keep going … and I won!


"It all started last year when I beat Rachael in Kuwait for the first time. You get the belief that you can win, and it all spins off from there.

"I learned so much last year, and this year it keeps getting more and more exciting all the time. For the past weeks I've also been training with Sarah, watching the way she plays, nobody plays her way, and the way she puts the pressure on like she does.

"This is another step for me, I 'm glad I kept pushing all the way and kept putting that extra pressure on.


"And if I 'm not making much sense at the moment. I'm sorry but I'm all over the place ... I just won my second British Open title !"



No comments: