Friday, May 05, 2006

McClaren named as England manager


Middlesbrough boss Steve McClaren has been appointed the next England manager, ending months of speculation over Sven-Goran Eriksson's successor since Scolari turned down the offer.






"This is the biggest honour that any coach can have, and is obviously the highlight of my career," he said.

"It's a massive challenge and one that I welcome. I have hugely enjoyed my time at Middlesbrough and am very grateful to the club.

"However, this was an opportunity I couldn't refuse and I'm probably the proudest man in England today.

"To manage your country is the greatest honour which can be bestowed on anyone.

McClaren made his way to London from his Yorkshire home on Thursday and arrived at the FA's Soho Square headquarters at 1540 BST. He was immediately rushed inside through a media scrum before an official announcement was made at 1620 BST. And together with Barwick, he signed his deal in front of the assembled media at around 1640 BST.

So we won't be seeing Mr Beckham doing the samba after all...

No comments: